Sunday, February 9, 2014

I'm Black and Proud Because….

Daijah Abram

I am Black and proud because I come from courage. Because people like Harriet Tubman and Nat Turner fought back against slavery. Because people like Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X fought for the rights of African Americans. Because people like The Little Rock Nine and Dorothy Counts braved the integrated school systems.

I am Black and proud because I come from beauty. Because in 1949, Dorothea Towles became the first top Black model. Because Black supermodel Mounia was the muse to designer Yves Saint Laurent. Because Black women look good with dreads, weaves, natural hair, and pretty much every hairstyle including no hair at all. Because despite being Black, my people come in all different beautiful shades of brown.

I am Black and proud because I come from achievement. Because Oprah Winfrey is the richest self-made Black woman in America. Because Aretha Franklin was the first female artist to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Because the highest paid golf player, Tiger Woods, basketball player, Kobe Bryant, and boxer, Floyd Mayweather, are all Black males. Because the current President of the United States, Barack Obama, is Black.

I am Black and proud because I come from culture. Because Black Americans have created their own language and set of beliefs. Because global trends such as the Harlem Shake originated from Black subculture. Because music genres like rock and roll, jazz, and R&B originated from Black subculture. Because Butterfly, from Digable Planets, said it best “we be to rap what key be to lock.” Because we are often imitated but never duplicated.


Sure being Black is hard, my people are still struggling in this modern world, but I wouldn’t want to be anything else.

1 comment: