Tuesday, September 24, 2013

My OU Experience: Through the Eyes of a Freshman



Jasmine Lambert

            Ohio University is the home of more than 4,000 incoming freshmen and about 20,000 total undergraduate students a year. It is very easy to become just another number or face in the crowd if you don’t get involved on campus. I have had an amazing first month in Athens because of my involvement, my focus on my academics, and my social environment.

Involvement:
            There are so many clubs and organizations on campus for all different groups of people. Organizations are an easy way for new students to get involved instantly and make friends. I personally chose to join groups that are more focused on my interests and have people like me in them. I joined Black Student Union and Ohio University Association of Black Journalists to get more involved. In both organizations, I have friends and enjoy being in the company of amazing people that are all trying to be proactive.
I also feel like my involvement in the LINKS program had a huge impact on my smooth transition to college life. I made my first new friends during the pre-matriculation program and I became close to upperclassmen that I can talk to about anything. It also provides free tutoring and meetings with advisors to make sure that I stay on task and don’t get overwhelmed with all the things that I have to do. At OU anyone can become involved with a club that interests them and I highly recommend joining a group because it made my transition much easier.

Academics:
            The academic aspect of college caught me a little off guard. In high school, I never really had to try. I could just pay attention in class and study a little the night before and do perfectly fine on the test but it is not the same here. The workload requires a lot of time and effort but I’m gradually learning how to manage my time to get everything done and go to bed at a reasonable time.
            Being on scholarship makes it crucial that I stay on top of my grades because I have to keep a certain GPA to continue to remain in compliance with my scholarship. Knowing that I have that on my shoulders is also helping me stay focused on the ultimate goal, which is to graduate and start a career after leaving Ohio University. I think that having set goals for myself and having a support system, like LINKS, is very helpful to staying focused in school.

Social Life:
            Being involved and focusing on academics is good but without a social life I don’t think I would enjoy college as much as I do. Learning how to balance activities, my studies, and a social life is complicated but easy at the same time. I always look forward to Friday because after my last class I take the day off from studies and really try to have fun with my friends on Friday night. Whether it be going to a party or just hanging out in someone’s dorm, I think that every college student needs a mental break from the week they just had.
            The good part of having friends that want to succeed is that you can have a social life while studying. Most of my time with my friends is spent at the library, and even though it is a little harder to focus we still manage to get things done. I think having a social life might be the most important aspect to succeeding in college because if you focus so much on your academics and don’t take any time to have fun, you won’t enjoy it.

            I absolutely love going to school at Ohio University. There are so many different cultures, organizations and programs that anyone can feel like Athens is home if they try to get involved. Academics are much harder than high school but with all the resources that are provided, it is almost impossible to not receive help. OU is known as a party school so the social life isn’t hard to find either. I think that by finding a healthy balance of all three is what made my transition to college successful. I can’t wait for all the new experiences that are in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment