Sunday, September 28, 2014

Life of A College Athlete: Tajah Smith

Tajah Smith

Full-time student. Journalist. News anchor, reporter and writer for WOUB Public Media, Gridiron Glory and Bobcats Sports Showcase. Writer for The Flow. Member of the Ohio University Women’s Track & Field team. Daughter. Sister. Best friend. Confidant. Gossip girl. Messy roommate. Occasional wing-woman.

You could say I have a lot on my plate.

I have been running track for approximately 13 years, so it’s a big part of my life. But I am also very passionate about writing and media in general. After completing my first year of college I am happy to say it wasn’t easy, but I wouldn’t change it for the world.

I had to jump through many hoops to accomplish everything that I wanted. From telling my friends I couldn’t go out because of homework, early practices, or just pure exhaustion.

Reading and writing has always been a passion of mine so my mother was not too surprised when I told her I did not want to be a trauma surgeon anymore but instead wanted to be a member of the E.W. Scripps of Journalism at Ohio University. Track has always been a large part of my life breaking three schools records in middle school and two in high school. After my senior year I had decided to close that chapter of my life to focus more on journalism so that I could do everything I could in hopes of one day reaching my goals.

As fate would have it I had a phenomenal senior year on the track team and decided to see how well I could do on the collegiate level. Becoming a part of the Ohio University Women’s Track and Field team was one of the best decisions I have made thus far. I love my teammates and they have become like a second family to me. I look forward to practice everyday. It is exciting seeing us grow as a team not only getting closer but also getting stronger and stronger as the weeks go by leading up to our first meet December 5. There is no better feeling than when you are down in the blocks waiting for the official to blow the gun, or when your body is flying through the air anticipating hitting the sand underneath you. I look forward to it every week.

I won’t lie and say it is easy because it isn’t. In fact it is very difficult balancing school, track and a social life. Two practices almost every day plus meetings and news shifts takes a toll on a person. We begin practice in September and do not finish until after school is over in the spring. During the spring semester we usually aren’t here on the weekends due to traveling for meets. I was behind in most of my classes spring semester and I was thankful that most of my teachers were very understanding.

For many athletes there comes a time when you have to become the CEO of your life and decide what is more important, getting a great education and getting involved in organizations geared toward your major, or practice. There has been times when I have practiced later than usual in order to attend something journalism related, and there have been times when I have not attended something journalism related because of practice/competition.

Slowly but surely, I am finding a balance between it all. I go to practice fulfill everything that is needed of me and schedule journalism related things around it all. Some nights I may miss dinner going to a meeting but that’s okay because I know that in the end it’ll all be worth it.

As John Wooden once said, “The most important key to achieving great success is to decide upon your goal and launch, get started, take action, move.” At the end of the day I know that all my hard work and dedication will pay off; I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment